Mar 31, 2010

Le Voyage dans la lune-Bryan DiBlasi

This was the first time I had seen this film in its entirety. Before, I had only seen brief clips such as the famous scene with the ship flying into the moons eye. I can only imagine how blown away people must have been back in 1902. For this time period, those people being able to see such brilliant animation mixed with a live action film must have been amazing. I like this film in particular because they didn’t just let the film revolve around the animation techniques; it had a good story as well. Although, films such as “Gertie the Dinosaur” are great achievements in the world of animation and film, it lacked a little in story (e.g. move your left leg, take a drink of water, etc…). I like when films show excellence in all areas, rather than just one strong suit. Watching this, was also the first time I realized that the music video for the Smashing Pumpkins’ “Tonight, Tonight” is a direct reference to Méliès’ film. Another plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment