Feb 3, 2010

Krazy Kat

I really enjoyed "Krazy Kat Goes A-Wooing". I found the premise of Krazy's unrequited love and his constant misinterpretation of Ignatz's brick trowing behavior for love hilarious. I also thought that Krazy's sometimes ambiguous gender would be an interesting topic to explore. Supposedly Krazy's creator, George Herriman thought of Krazy as a kind of spirit, gender neutral. I think that might be too easy of an answer and that the cartoons themselves offer rich territory to think about gender roles and relationships at the time (and even today).
A video I found interesting and relevant to the topic is "Krazy Kat and Ignatz Mouse at the Circus". Note the little condescending comments about women, "Shux that ain't brave anyone can scare mere womans"...
I also found a contemporary claymation version of Krazy Kat that does a good (and funny) job of summarizing the love triangle that provides the main storyline in Krazy Kat. Enjoy!

Posted by Eszter

No comments:

Post a Comment